Wednesday 27 October 2010

A DVD to try at home

A review on a Kunalini Yoga DVD to detox and de-stress with Maya Fiennes

On Friday I was recommended a Kundalini yoga DVD. I have mentioned this style of yoga in an earlier blog (in 2009) and will remind you now that it is quite different from Iyengar and Ashtanga flow classes. The movements are small, the actions repeated over and over again aided by the breath. In this particular DVD all the poses are seated or reclined on your back. The teacher is Maya Fiennes (I think sister to Ralph Fiennes) and because of this I immediately jumped to the wrong conclusion that she could make the DVD because of her famous family. I was wrong. Maya is lovely. She’s very calm and inspiring and I really love her DVD. I have since done the DVD session on 4 mornings. Each time I have understood her instructions a little more and have felt a little more body awareness. Afterwards I feel calm, my nerves soothed by the actions and breathing.
The Pranayama breathing may take a little practise if you have not done this before. If you have grasped the concept of diaphragmatic breathing and the Ujjaii breath then the techniques will make sense as the abdomen pulls in as you exhale.
My students and I all live in the countryside and it confirms to me that if we go to a local yoga class regularly and learn the basics then it allows us to try other forms of yoga in our homes. Yoga is just so beneficial, I just want everyone to try it and reap the benefits.
I love the music too and there is a bonus CD of music by Maya. My only advisary note before you rush out to get this DVD is that you do need to be able to sit cross legged comfortably, either on a block or without. With that in mind following this DVD will work to energize, cleanse and make you feel uplifted. I highly recommend this DVD for relieving stress and I truly believe it helps to detox the body.
Thank you Theresa

No comments: